Saturday, December 8, 2007

#9 or John Lennon Killed 27 Years Ago Today

I can't believe its been twenty-seven* years. When my best friend Jon called, I was standing in the kitchen. The first words out of his mouth were, "Hey, did you hear that John Lennon is dead?" I was shocked and stunned... surprised how hard the news hit me. I mean, I didn't even know John Lennon... not personally anyway. On the other hand, I did know him, probably better than anyone else I didn't really know. I had all of his records, except for the Wedding Album, and could even sing along to parts of Unfinished Music #2... a true die hard fan.

Not for the literalist

John Lennon was a clever and witty lyricist. His words have appeal on many levels, and seem to speak to everyone personally. The world knows his music well, and ranks it among the classics, yet his books are almost unknown. I love to read John's books. His comedic masterful use of word play is taken far beyond most peoples' ability to comprehend and understand. I larfed historically.

Everyone loves you when you're dead

You know, it is kind of funny, (funny is a funny word for it), how right before John was murdered, he wasn't well liked by the masses. In my sphere, he was considered to be a has-been who had been out of the biz for a long time, and wasn't really interesting anymore. When he died, suddenly everyone was his biggest fan.

*
Numerologically, 27, is 2+7

"
Turn me on dead man" (Revolution #9 backwards) John Lennon

No comments: