Thursday, January 17, 2008

Disc Golf Ace @ De Laveaga


I play disc golf every Thursday, weather permitting, and today was no exception. What made this particular disc golf Thursday different from all the others before and after it, is that I got my first ace today... the equivalent to a hole in one in ball-golf. The big throw happened on basket #6 at De Laveaga* Disc Golf Course at 5:03 pm. As I took the pad, I turned to Olin and held up my brand spanking new hot pink Innova Road Runner 175 gram driver I had just purchased with the DJ's Market gift certificate that my friend Aaron had given to me when I turned half of ninety recently. "This is the basket I had in mind when I bought this disc," I said as I turned and eyed the chains positioned almost four hundred feet away at the end of the fairway. It was only the second time I had thrown the sleek new driver which exploded from my hand with precision and power. The disc passed five feet left of the power pole pitted with thousands of impact dents, (some of them mine), and pitched slightly right before flattening out for a mostly straight flight. As the disc reached its highest point, it was kissed by the last light of the sun, illuminating the bright pink flyer as the solar wind urged it toward the target. As Ms. Pinky began to give up her energy and lose altitude, she faded slightly left, and passed over the five foot tall dead Y shaped tree, barely missing it, and splashed spectacularly into the chains. An eruption of hoots, hollers and applause from a host of witnesses at various locations on the course ensued.

I've hit a basket with drives six times in my disc golf history, (15, 12, 27, 3, 8a, 19 all at De La), but lucky number seven stayed in the basket, and became my first ace... and it only took ten years to do it. I hope I don't have to wait another ten years to get another one.
* The most difficult disc golf course in the whole wide world... so I hear.


1 comment:

Megan said...

Hooray! That is quite the accomplishment!