Friday, February 22, 2008

Cop Chronicles

One of my favorite activities is messing with telephone solicitors when they call my house. This one fell into my lap recently.

"Ring, ring, ring," went the kitchen landline telephone. I quickly checked the caller ID before answering. "Ahoy hoy!" I said, holding the phone firmly to my right ear. "Is this Mr. Zenberg?" the male voice on the line inquired. "Confirmative!" I barked. "Hello Mr. Zenberg, this is Brad Holladay* from the Cops of America Association,* How are you doing this evening, sir?" he asked robotically. "Sparkling! How about yourself?" I asked. "Real fine, thank you, sir." he replied and continued, "Ah, Mr. Zenberg, our organization is committed to help the children of police officers that have been killed in the line of duty to receive a college education..." he continued his pitch while I mentally rehearsed my reply. "How much are you willing to donate today, sir?" he intrusively inquired. "Oh, I'm sorry," I lamented sarcastically. "I just donated all of my charity budget to an organization that raises money for kids who's parents have been killed by cops." I quickly hung up the phone and laughed sardonically until I felt as if I had done three hundred sit-ups.

*
Names have been changed to protect the insolent.

This post is the f1rst is a series of real cop chronicles. Watch out for more in the near future...

No comments: