Saturday, March 1, 2008

Lucky Day In Lovely Santa Cruz

Last week an unprecedented event occurred as I rode my bike down Cayuga in lovely Santa Cruz Californ-I-A. On Thursday, whilst pedaling along, consciously avoiding the cracks in the old concrete street, suddenly something was wrong with my bike. Grasping both hand-brakes firmly, I came to a stop as quickly as possible, and looked down to see if the chain had fallen off. To my amazement, there was an obvious large nail sticking all the way through my back tire.

The dieing tube hissed loudly as it gave up the ghost in less than three-seconds. Apparently, my front tire had kicked up the lucky nail, putting it in motion, and positioning it perfectly to puncture my back tire, as it rolled over. The large nail entered through the tread, penetrated the tube, then continued through and punctured the tube for the second time, and finally exited the sidewall of the tire. I've had a lot of flat tires, but never have I seen a nail pass completely through a tire and out the other side. With a good tug, which was met with a bit of resistance, I removed the nail, and examined it closely, before strategically placing the new amulet in my inside-jacket pocket.

I proceeded to walk my bike the remaining four blocks to my home, putting as little weight as possible on the damaged, but not destroyed tire. When I opened up the garage door, I discovered that an inner-tube had fallen off the hook where it had been hanging on the wall. I found it laying on the floor, right where I park my bike. It was in perfect condition, and the right size to replace the one which had been destroyed by the nail. Lucky amulet!

No comments: