Monday, December 29, 2008

Aerial Photographique: Southern Utah and Grand Canyon

I'm not one of those people who watches TV when I fly. I like to gaze out the window in an attempt to figure out where I am, and find familiar landmarks. Mankind has only enjoyed this perspective for less than a century, and I plan to make the most of it.

On December 6th I flew out of Salt Lake International Aeropuerto and headed south en route to Phoenix, my one stop on the way to San Jose. It seemed crazy to go all the way to Arizona on my way to California, but in rhetrospect, it afforded me the opportunity to take some pictures of familiar places I've never seen from the air.

Below, the sands of Little Sahara Recreation Area appear small, but from ground level, they appear to go on and on forever.


The Bear Valley Cutoff, (as mom always called it), is clearly visible cutting through the rugged Southern Utah landscape. I remember when Aunt Grace and Grandma would be waiting for us at the I-15 exit. These were always good reunions. We would then go from there over the mountains to US Highway 89, then travel south to Panguitch.
Panguitch is a pretty little town, or so the birds there sing. Here, it is easy to see Hwy. 89 make a hard left (or right depending direction of travel) in the middle of Pang Town, then head east for a few miles before returning to a more southerly direction.
Panguitch Lake, nestled amidst the snow and lava flows, appears small from thousands of feet above.
Zion National Park can be viewed in its entirety from this altitude.

On the edge of the Colorado Plateau, the pink sand dunes are clearly visible to the west of Kanab, Utah where lots of old-time westerns have been filmed. Kanab is best enjoyed from this altitude. I've had to spend many a day surveying in that miserable berg where it's either too cold or too hot.
The Colorado Plateau signals the beginnings of the Grand Canyon.

The canyon was spectacular to view from the aeroplane.


No comments: