Thursday, February 5, 2009

Bad Brains and Eggs

It's no secret that I enjoy playing with people's brains. Speaking of brains, about a decade or so ago, our friend, Kevin, gave Mighty Mo a brain* shaped jell-o mold for her birthday.

In those days, I was a stay at home dad, and brewed a batch of my own recipe of chai every week. It occurred to me that chai jell-o would provide the perfect colour for my first wiggly jiggly brain. I added a bit of soy milk to make the mixture a few shades lighter and a bit more opaque, worked in the Knox gelatin, then popped it into the fridge to chill and gel.

As I was removing the chilled jell-o from the mold, the brain broke into a few smaller pieces. The intriguing mass of gray matter looked quite realistically like a pile of bashed
brains on a plate.

At the time, we lived in a damp redwood forest on a dead-end road where quite a few people walked their dogs every day. I thought it would be fun to place the
brains strategically on the side of the road near where people walk. Surely, someone would see the brains, and wonder. I took delight in the thought of someone poking curiously at the brains with a stick.

Later, when my neighbor Andrea called, she sounded a bit concerned and got right to the point. "Hey, have you been out bye the mailbox lately?" I knew exactly what she was talking about, and began to laugh.

* The brain shaped jell-o mold was a perfect gift in light of the fact that Mighty Mo is a collector of brains, and brain paraphernalia. I think that Mighty Mo's infatuation with brains began at Bill and Nada's Cafe in Salt Lake City where she occasionally ordered the brains and eggs, an SLC pUnK favorite.

Brain Zen Eggs!

No comments: