Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Rick Wakeman Eat Your Heart Out

I felt like a groupie when I showed up twenty minutes early for the free organ recital at the historic Tabernacle on Temple Square in Salt Lake City. I try to catch at least one of these recitals whenever I travel to the Beehive State, and I'm never disappointed by this amazing instrument, and those who play it.

When the doors finally opened, I scurried to the front row to get the best seat in the house to view and hear the king of musical instruments. Unfortunately, they no longer allow photos or video to be taken during the performance, and I wasn't allowed to get on the stand for close-up shots of the
keyboard array, but I did manage to snap a few of pictures before the music began.

Richard L Elliot was the featured organist and demonstrated his mastery of this awesome instrument with amazing skill and finesse. Neither Keith Emerson or Rick Wakeman holds a camel to this skilled professional who played on a level I have never before experienced.

The highlight of the event was a rendition of Richard Wagner's, Flight of the Valkyrie, which he performed flawlessly without any sheet music to assist him. Bravo!

I spoke with Dr. Elliot after the recital and expressed my appreciation for an amazing performance.

No comments: