Friday, September 3, 2010

Spheres in 3-D

September has arrived, therefore, as promised, here is my selection of 3-D images for you to enjoy this month. This time we're focusing on four unique spheres.

The first example is a 3" geode that I spent many hundreds of hours refining in my sphere-making-machine. The rough, exterior has been removed, but remains unpolished. I think I've decided to keep it this way, but may end up polishing it someday.
The second example is another sphere that I machined. This one is made from granite used in the construction of the Salt Lake Temple.
In about 1995, I found about a hundred of these 6" solid iron balls in the desert near Kanab, Utah. I was only able to take fourteen of them with me at the time, and when I returned to get the others a few weeks later, they were all gone. The one in this photograph has been sprayed with a polyurethane coating identical to the popular Rhino Liner for pickup truck beds.

This baseball size sphere was manufactured by an anonymous ancient American Human, and exhibits weathered evidence of having been tooled. It was found in a remote location, perched on a much larger round rock surrounded by thousands of obsidian and flint fragments. Obviously a manufacturing location for arrowheads, knives, spear-heads... and one curiously carved sphere.

Have a ball viewing!.

1 comment:

Dave said...

Wait these are your gall stones.