Thursday, August 18, 2011

Back to School 2011

I recently paid a visit to my old elementary school to take a handful of 3D pictures.

It was obvious to me that the office staff was excited about being back. In fact, everyone there, from teachers preparing their classrooms, to the maintenance staff, were upbeat and exhibited that special back to school magic. Everyone was so nice. I could tell that it is a fun place to work. The kids attending here are in good hands. "Lucky kids" I thought to myself.
Although I still dream about these halls occasionally, it has been decades since I've physically been inside the building.
I didn't have many if any enemies in school, but I recall that when I was in fourth grade, an upper upperclassman, (sixth grader), intentionally put gum in my hair as we passed on the stairs. The gum became a tangled mess in my long dark hair, and much to my chagrin, I consented to having it cut.
I was standing just to the left of this old wall in the library when Bonnie Gang told me that there was no Santa Clause. The shocking revelation seemed to make time stop for a few moments as I assimilated to my new epiphanous world view. I was shocked that all of the people I had trusted most had deceived me. I didn't lie to my own kids about Santa. The lunchroom is a multipurpose room where I've eaten many a school lunch, (the pizza was my favorite). In addition to eating lunch there, I've played basketball, watched movies, enjoyed musical ensembles, viewed demonstrations, taken part in talent shows... I've even done the Hokey Pokey in this room, (that's what it's all about).
The old play structures are empty today, but soon, they'll be covered with children making the most of their recess.



After leaving my beloved elementary school, I drove to my old Jr. high school in hopes of taking a few 3d pictures there. I hadn't been inside Tooele Jr. High School since I graduated from eighth grade, and was looking forward to another great experience like I just had at West Elementary. That didn't happen though.
From the moment I got out of my car, I could sense tension in the air. I went directly to the principal's office where I was met with an unfriendly staff who refused me permission to take pictures there. Even the principal was terribly rude, and I could tell that this was not a fun place to work. "Poor kids" I thought to myself as I exited the sterile and unfriendly institution. My good friend, Superintendent Clark Johnson, would be displeased with their unfriendly behavior.

1 comment:

Dave said...

For the times they are a changin'! is how to best sum it up!