Thursday, June 29, 2023

Iconic Ritz in Tooele Dies



So sad to learn that the old iconic Ritz Theater is closing its doors for good this Friday. The amazing space-theme retro-future murals on the walls have inspired me and been a part of my life as long as I can remember. I witnessed my very first big screen movie there as a baby. Apparently, I didn’t enjoy the experience and spent most of the time in the cry room. Wah! I’m remembering some of the many movies that I watched at the Ritz: Soylent Green, Omega Man, Fiddler on the Roof, Tommy, and of course, Whiffs, which was filmed in Tooele. When my own kids were small and we were in town visiting grandma and grandpa, I made sure that my little ones got to experience the Ritz. I took Mason to Muppets in Space, and Kirsten and I saw Cowboys and Aliens, (keeping with the space theme). I’d love to go one more time, but the “theatrical attraction” is less than attractive to me and I’d prefer to say goodbye to the Ritz with fond memories intact. I do wish the Ritz would say goodbye with a feature that had actually been filmed in Tooele. That would have been appropriate. Whiffs and/or Gentlemen Broncos would be my choices. Whiffs would be fun because it was filmed almost entirely in Tooele and depicts the town as it was in the mid 70s. Gentleman Broncos is perfect because some of it was filmed in the lobby of the Ritz and the dome home in the movie  is the actual home of the Ritz owner. Goodbye Ritz. Thank You!!! ðŸ˜¢

No comments: