Sunday, June 10, 2007

Observations - Morning @ The Beach

Castle Beach is less than a mile from my home, so I make a point to go there as frequently as possible. On Sunday mornings I usually ride my bike to the cliff overlooking the beach where I sit on a bench and enjoy the fresh ocean breeze. One of he best things about Santa Cruz is the weather. Winters never get too cold, and summer is always cool and pleasant. This morning as I left for my ride to the cliff's edge, I observed fog at one end of my street, while it was sunny at the other end. I rode into the fog... toward the Pacific Ocean. When I arrived at the cliff, hardly anyone was here. Tourists don't know about this spot, so it's usually a pretty mellow place to hang out and observe the goings on. Today it is quite foggy at my perch atop the cliff, and there's more to hear than there is to see. I can barely see the sand below, and can just make out the profile of someone with a metal detector scouring the beach for treasures. The water is completely obscured by the thick fog. The waves approach the beach diagonally... and as a result, as if in stereo, I hear the surf break from left to right. The fog horn at the mouth of the harbor sounds in the distance every twenty five seconds or so. The wharf isn't visible either, yet I hear the unmistakable sound of Sea Lions, (Zalophus californianus), who hang out there. Their excessive barking sounds like some kind of crazy clown orgy. Little black birds peck at the ground in front of me as a big boned blond girl gets her exercise by running up and down the concrete stairs that lead to the beach. She pants heavily, as she abuses her cartilage. A heavy set older gentleman wearing a 49rs cap walks his German Shepherd. Tags jingle as he demonstrates masterful leash expertise, and directs the large K-9 along the walkway. The Shep squeaks excitedly as his master leads him away.

No comments: