Friday, October 12, 2007

Favorite Album Covers: Soundproof


There is something really groovy about vinyl records. I adore the smooth motion of the needle on the vinyl as it is spirals on its journey to the center of the disc... meditative in a way. I've heard lots of vinyl, and seen even more album covers. Over the years, I've spent so much time flipping through records, that anymore I hardly have to look at the covers as I thumb through stacks of vinyl... like a speed reader. Some record covers are creative and artsy, while others are pretty lame... like the album cover was simply an afterthought. Through the years, I've seen the best and the worst. With some covers, I have wondered, "Man, what were they thinking?" Sometimes I stumble across things I've never seen, or heard before, and on rare occasions, I'll even purchase an album I've never heard, as long as the cover is aesthetically pleasing to me. I picked up this Soundproof record at the flea market a couple of years ago (see image with post). I really appreciate the rhetro/future look of the flying saucer, and the alien-planetscape. Turned out that the musique on the record doesn't appeal to me much, (although very interesting and worthy of a listen), however it sure looked cool framed and hanging on my wall for a year or so. While still greatly appreciated, the cover is no longer displayed on the wall, this cover is now back in the collection with many other fine records.

No comments: