Thursday, April 3, 2008

Steven Spielberg Phone Homeless

You never know who you're going to meet when you turn the corner in front to Staff of Life grocery store in Santa Cruz. There's always someone wanting either a signature on a petition, or a hand out. I know what to expect.

Today, Ronaldo and I stopped at Staff for supplimental lunch items. We parked on the West side of the store next to the telephone-pole riddled with thousands of staples, and about a half-dozen fliers posted by people with too much time on their hands. I barely had enough room to exit the passenger side because the pole prevented the door from opening completely. I squeezed through, closed the door behind me, and commenced bipedal activity. As I turned the corner of Poplar St. onto Water St., sitting there in front of Staff, sat a thin, forty-something fellow. I figured he'd be hitting us up for some cash. His head was down as he spoke to Ronaldo who blew by paying no attention. Then I heard him direct a query toward me.

His soft voice was absorbed by the sounds of
impatient noisy motor cars that rumbled and roared past, hurrying to get to the next red light. I stopped walking, and said, "Pardon me?" He spoke again, and as before, I couldn't hear him. Assuming he was asking for something, I sat down next to him and asked, "What do you need?" I could see that it wasn't easy for him to ask for help. He spoke up, and said, "I really need some food or money."

I was going into the store, and could easily get him something to eat, but I asked him, "Which would you rather have- the money or the food?" He said that he would prefer to have money, so I pulled out my wallet and handed him five of the seven dollars I had on me. He received it gratefully, and graciously. That's when it got interesting.

As we parted with a hand-shake, he reluctantly asked me if I had "Internet access." I told him that I did. He then asked me if I would use the Internet to contact his good friend, Steven Spielberg, and make him aware that Gary Lee Ames is living on the streets in Santa Cruz. I told him that I would do it.

I kept my word, even though I don't necessarily believe his story. There's nothing in it for me true or not, so if figured what the hey...strangers have left on longer trains before.

As far as Gary is concerned... if nothing else, someone took the time to listen to him, maybe the first person all day - or even longer, and he may have experienced some small sampling of hope that his good buddy Steven Spielberg will be trying to find him. I hope that he does.

Good luck, stranger.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gary is now in Los Angeles. He asked me to contact the head of the state police, he is a good friend, let him know that Gary is living on the streets of LA. He's been on my street now for 2 months at the corner.