Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Psychic Friend or Foe

It's kind of scary how gullible most people are.

My good friend Rod was a smart kid, and graduated among the top of his class at Platteville High School.

Once he paid Mighty Mo and myself a visit when we lived in Madison, Wisconsin. When he arrived at our apartment, he took notice of my lovely polished swirl-obsidian sphere. His intrigue put me into a position which allowed me to pull his leg a bit... probably more than I should have.


I told him that the sphere was a magical scrying oracle, and that through it, I could see things. He was skeptical at first, but when I began to tell him things about himself that no one could have possible known, he became convinced that I was actually seeing into the dusty corners of his life. All I was really doing was observing his reaction to my suggestions, and coming to logical conclusions. By the time he left our apartment, he was convinced that I had some kind of gift to see into the magical sphere. Mighty Mo had witnessed the entire event, and after the door closed behind Rod, she said "That was amazing!" She thought the performance was legitimate as well, but when I told her that I faked the entire thing, she was angry with me, and made me apologize to Rod.


I called Rod later that day to let him know that the reading had in reality been a ruse, but he refused to believe that I had fooled him, reiterating, that I had told him things that no one could have possible known. I failed to convince him otherwise.

I am definitely not psychic, and I doubt that such a thing exists. Inflection and body language say much more than words alone, and can be easily interpreted by anyone paying attention to such details. It is my opinion that people who claim to be psychic, are in reality, opportunists (scam artists) who play on the physical and vocal responses of their paying clientele, telling them what they already know (to create the
illusion of magick), then telling them what they want to hear to keep them coming back to buy more insight.

No comments: