Saturday, April 4, 2009

What's the Harm in McDharmas?

Dharma's is a popular vegetarian restaurant here in Santa Cruz. It was originally called, McDharma's, but the McDonalds Corporation forced them to change the name.

Dharma's features lots of yummy delights to choose from, but my favorite item on the menu is the breakfast burrito which consists of a flour tortilla, heaps of refrito frijoles negros, green onion, potatoes and tofu. It comes with
cheese, sour cream, salsa and a large salad too. Dairy is optional and can be swapped for guacamole. I like to get lots of diced onions from the condiment counter and sprinkle them all over my giant burrito. I also get lots of the Extra Extra Hot Sauce, too. Mmm. Plus all the filtered water I can drink for free. I know where I'm going for breakfast today.Not too long ago, I was standing in line at Dharma's, and it appeared that the person in front of me probably hadn't been out much in the past couple of decades. The sixty to seventy year old gentleman seemed to be out of his element, and looked baffled by the vegetarian menu. The man and the two women he was with began discussing drink options, and one of women asked him if he would like to have filtered water. His response blew my mind. "What's filtered water?" he asked suspiciously.
Inside Dharma's where there are lots of plastic animals to play with.

1 comment:

JT said...

wow, santa cruz. had no idea. i was there in 1986 or so and enjoyed some pizza from right livelihood. i think there was tofu on it. i was visiting from provo. i love your town.