Thursday, September 27, 2007

Luna in Occultation

You know that creepy feeling you get when you can sense that someone is there, but you can't actually see them? It was just after 10:00 pm, and I was on my way home from Skippy and Andrea's place where we had just watched an episode of X-Files, a weekly ritual for us. Luna was in occultation that night, therefore it was darker than usual, and I couldn't even see the black asphalt road beneath me. There was a shortcut I planned to take which would enable me traverse through the woods and avoid walking up my steep driveway. The cutoff point was at the head of Mary Holmes' driveway, where I would walk on her gravel drive, winding my way up the hillside until I got to the trail which led through the trees. I had walked it a hundred times, so was confident that it wouldn't be a problem navigating the trail in the dark. Besides I have great night vision, and even if I couldn't see the road beneath my feet... and I had a flashlight that I could use if it became too difficult. As I turned left, and stepped off of Happy Valley Road onto Mary Holmes gravel driveway, every hair on my body suddenly stood on end, and I sensed that I had just walked right past someone standing quietly on the side of the road in the darkness. I had chosen not to use the flashlight up to that point, because I actually enjoyed the challenge of walking in the darkness of the night, and relying on my other senses. I took another ten steps beyond the spot where I felt that someone was standing, silently counting each one to myself, then quickly turned around and switched the flashlight to the on position, pointing in the direction where I suspected someone to be standing, revealing a surprised medium- sized Coyote on the side of the road within two feet of where I had just walked. The scruffily-furred creature, startled by the sudden burst of light, scurried away and ran up the hillside. Adrenalin surged through my body as I ascended the hill, and then climbed one hundred stairs that led to my house.
I wonder who was more surprised, the Coyote, or me.

No comments: