Saturday, September 29, 2007

Pizza In Our Day

There used to be a little record store on Pacific Avenue here in Santa Cruz which I occasionally frequented. On one particular occasion, I was shopping for a peace sign bumper sticker to put on my car. You see, whenever America goes off to war, I place an upside down peace sign on my automobile as a subtle message that all is not well and peace has been toppled... (Oh, maybe I shouldn't have given that away and kept everyone wondering). Anyway, I was in the store, peering through the scratched glass cabinet at the selection of stickers, and noticed a peace sign that would match my blue Buick Park Avenue perfectly. The peace symbol was yellow, and the background was about the same shade of blue as my car. The yellow would stand out nicely on the blue too, I thought to myself as an employee asked half-heartedly, "Can I get you something?" "Confirmative!" I replied. "I want that blue sticker right there," pointing down from directly above. "The square one with that yellow thing on it," lightly thumping my pointer finger on the worn glass, indicating my selection. "The peace sign?" he asked, surprised. It was the only peace sign under the glass.

"That
yellow and blue one there" I replied, again pointing and tapping the glass. "That's a peace sign" he said, somewhat taken back, or disgusted that I didn't know what it was.

"Oh, OK.", I said trying hard to appear confused, as though I had no idea what he was talking about. "It's sure pretty isn't it?" I said as I paid the flabbergasted cashier who put my sticker in a small bag, and reiterated quite seriously,

"Yeah, that's a
peace sign."

"That's good to know" I said nodding my head as I walked out with a smile in my hand. When I got home, I cleaned a small spot on the bumper on the rear driver side of my car, and positioned my new sticker. The match was nearly perfect, and this time I didn't display it upside down... instead, I put it on sideways, as if the piece sign had fallen over. I hope that cashier guy had an opportunity to see me driving around town with my peace sign displayed
incorrectly.

"Mm, pizza..." Homer Simpson

No comments: